23 January 2006South Africa’s courtrooms are set to go the hi-tech route, with the accused taking part in proceedings from prison via video-conferencing facilities, in a system successfully pioneered at the Durban and Pinetown magistrate’s courts in KwaZulu-Natal.The Mercury newspaper reports that the technology is already being used for half the cases – about 30 a day – heard at Court 10 in Durban, where those accused of serious and violent crimes make pre-trial court appearances.The prisoners do not leave Westville Prison. Instead, they appear before the magistrate on a television set in the courtroom, the newspaper reports.The hi-tech system allows for a two-way interaction, with the camera panning to whoever is speaking at the time. It also provides for private telephone conversations with attorneys and the exchange of documents via fax.If implemented countrywide, the technology will save the government millions of rands in prisoner transportation costs – and end the risk of escapes, prisoner violence in vans and attacks on court orderlies.Deon Boardman, the national manager of the project, told the Mercury that the aim was to simplify court procedures and improve efficiency.“We are in the proof of concept stage,” he said. “It is an impact study and we aim to roll it out to other courts with high case volumes.“The test period is six months. So far, it has gone so well. It is a joint venture between the Departments of Justice and of Correctional Services, the National Prosecuting Authority and the police. In April, a joint decision will be made regarding roll-out.”Some 500 prisoners are transported every day from Westville Prison to various courts.“It is an administrative nightmare,” Boardman told the Mercury. “They have to be checked out of the prison, transported to the courts, checked into the grill, handed over to the police, escorted to and from the courts, fed, and taken back to prison. All of this for a two-minute court appearance.“The costs are enormous and the risk of escape is huge . this project is the way to go.”The project began in October 2005, initially with only a few cases a day to allow the court staff to become used to the system and make the necessary mental adjustment.“It was important for both court staff and prisoners to feel comfortable,” said Boardman. “All prisoners make their first appearance in the court itself so they know what the courtroom looks like.“They are then informed that their next appearances will be via video.“But if they want to come to court, they can. They simply make the request and they are requisitioned either the same day or the next day. But … most prisoners seem happy to appear on camera,” Boardman told the Mercury.The idea for the system came from Peter Benson of Durban-based Digital Voice Processing, which now runs the project, who first saw the technology at work in the US state of Florida, and suggested it to the Justice Department. He said it was inexpensive, with the pilot project only costing about R230 000 so far.“We worked out that if the department equipped every prison and one court in each courthouse with these video remand systems, the total cost of the technology would be recovered within nine months,” he told the Mercury.“I am passionate about this project,” he said. “It will save millions and it will save lives . I want to see this thing happen even if I don’t get the final tender.”SouthAfrica.info reporter
It’s hard not to feel sympathy for Alvaro Morata. He is immensely talented and is trying so hard to make a success of his Chelsea career but it is just not happening for him, with Wednesday night’s stalemate with Southampton just the latest in a long line of frustrating outings for the Spanish striker.It is now 18 months since he joined the Blues from Real Madrid for £58 million (plus add-ons) and he is running out of chances to prove his worth.As ever with Morata, there were positive moments against Southampton, with a delightful dribble in the 17th minute probably the highlight. But despite going close on numerous occasions, he failed to score and it was clear long before the end of this dour 0-0 draw that the fans’ patience is wearing thin. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! It’s not that he played badly. He even managed to stick the ball in the net in the 71st minute but his strike was ruled out by the most marginal of offside calls. That decision perfectly summed up his misfortune right now.But Morata can hardly claim that his struggles are purely down to bad luck. Indeed, he was played in on goal by Ruben Loftus-Cheek with 12 minutes of normal time remaining against Southampton, after a brilliant counter-attack sparked by the seemingly outbound Cesc Fabregas, who is in talks with Monaco, but Morata’s shot was nowhere near strong enough to beat the young Southampton goalkeeper Angus Gunn.This latest blank means that Morata has now gone five games without a goal. In fairness, seven goals in 22 games this season isn’t terrible but, at the same time, it isn’t a record worthy of a striker leading the line at a ‘Big Six’ Premier League club either.Luckily for Chelsea, such is the genius of Eden Hazard that he has regularly been able to make up for the fact that Chelsea are not in possession of a prolific centre-forward but the lack of a reliable goalscorer is holding the Blues back.Indeed, they have now failed to score in successive home league matches for the first time since 2012. Essentially, the absence of a world-class No.9 means that Chelsea regularly fail to win games that they dominate. Furthermore, great strikers are also able to nick wins on bad days and Morata simply does not have the requisite mental strength to step up when those around him are toiling, with even manager Maurizio Sarri moved to openly discuss the 26-year-old’s “fragility” earlier this season.Despit this draw, Chelsea are still fourth and reasonably placed to secure a return to the Champions League but it is easy to understand why they are being linked with the likes of Gonzalo Higuain, the prolific Argentine forward who previously worked under Sarri at Napoli.The gap on Arsenal is back down to three points and the squad is coming under increasing strain, with Willian going off injured against Southampton, joining Pedro and Olivier Giroud on the sidelines.Consequently, Wednesday was another chance for Morata to stake a claim for a regular starting berth. Once again, he failed to take it. Unfortunately, his entire Chelsea career to date has been a sorry tale of missed opportunities.Very interesting stat on Morata from @OptaJoe: “Alvaro Morata has recorded 1.9 offsides per 90 this season, the most of any player to have played at least 90 minutes.” #CFC #CHESOU— Nizaar Kinsella (@NizaarKinsella) January 2, 2019 Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
zoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pxhere under CC0 Creative Commons license Japanese shipping company Mitsui O.S.K Lines (MOL) has ordered construction of two 240,000 dwt bulkers at compatriot Imabari Shipbuilding, Intermodal said in its weekly report.Delivery dates and shipbuilding prices of the Capesize duo have not been disclosed.This is the second bulker order the company has been tied to this year. Namely, MOL ordered two Panamaxes back in March from Chinese shipbuilder Jiangsu New Yangzijiang, paying USD 26.5 million per unit.The newbuilding pair is scheduled for delivery in 2019.The company has 71 bulkers in its fleet, based on the data from VesselsValue, with Capesizes dominating the fleet with 20 units.Intermodal reported three more bulker contracts for last week, scored by Chinese shipbuilders.CSIC Haijing reportedly booked two Kamsarmaxes at Tianjin Xingang, Turkish Akmar Shipping ordered two 61,000 dwt bulkers at DACKS, and Wuhu Shipyard secured an order for two 64,000 dwt bulkers from Chinese owner Shishi Dingxin. As disclosed, all six newbuildings are expected for delivery in 2020.World Maritime News Staff
The voyage data recorder (VDR) of the sunken Stellar Daisy has been located and retrieved, according to Korea’s Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries.Survey and ocean exploration company Ocean Infinity, utilizing the vessel Seabed Constructor and four Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs), made the discovery three days after it started the search mission for the sunken ore carrier.Teams aboard the Seabed Constructor managed to retrieve the VDR and the bridge of the ill-fated Stellar Daisy, which sank in the South Atlantic two years ago, on Sunday morning (local time).Ocean Infinity, that launched the search efforts with the deployment of Seabed Constructor from Cape Town on February 8, located Stellar Daisy’s wreck some 1,800 nautical miles due west of Cape Town at a depth of 3,461 meter in the South Atlantic Ocean.Twenty-two of the 24 crew onboard the 1993-built, converted ore carrier went missing on March 31, 2017 when ship sank while transporting iron ore from Brazil to China.World Maritime News Staff; Image Courtesy: Korea’s Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
BERLIN — The head of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s CDU party says German companies working on the Nord Stream 2 pipeline project with Russia shouldn’t be intimidated by a letter from U.S. Ambassador Richard Grenell suggesting they could be risking sanctions.The Trump administration has criticized the pipeline as a form of Russian control over Germany, and has said the U.S. could impose energy-related sanctions.Germany’s Bild newspaper on Sunday printed a letter from Grenell cautioning companies that working on the project “could prompt a significant risk of sanctions.”CDU head Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said Monday the companies “have offered the right response, which is that they won’t allow themselves to be threatened and they won’t allow this type of intervention.”The U.S. Embassy says the letter “is not meant to be a threat but a clear message of U.S. policy.”The Associated Press
MONTREAL — Airbus SE broke ground Wednesday on the A220 aircraft assembly line at its facility in Mobile, Ala., the first step in a US$300-million construction project paid for by Bombardier Inc.That amount makes up a chunk of the US$925 million the Quebec plane-and-train maker could shell out by the end of 2021 under a partnership that saw Airbus to take control of the C Series — now known as the A220 — last July without paying a penny.The event took place at the Airbus plant in Alabama, where assembly of the popular A320 passenger jet is already underway. The French airplane giant says the new project will create 400 factory jobs.Production of the narrow-body A220 is expected to start in the third quarter, whether or not plant construction is complete, in order to make the first deliveries in 2020.Airbus says the project will generate economic spinoffs for Quebec, forecasting that northern suppliers of the A220 will rake in about $400 million per month once the Mirabel, Que., and Mobile facilities are up and running at full capacity.The company says that the two plants will churn out 10 aircraft and four aircraft, respectively.Companies in this story: (TSX:BBD.B)The Canadian Press
Sustainable approaches for urban water sanitation have gained firmer voices and more spaces for implementation in recent years. But some issues in our water management systems persist. One of them is the excessive dependence on water supply. Most urban areas have resorted to importing water from further and further away. Many large Indian cities have to source water from long distances, ranging between 50 and 200 kilometres due to exhaustion of remaining sources or pollution in nearby ones. Also Read – A special kind of bondAlong with an increased cost of raw water and losses due to leakage, such methods are ecologically unsustainable. The example of Tehri dam highlights this clearly. Popularised in national imagery as the tallest dam in Asia and as a technological feat, the dam supplies water to Delhi, situated about 300 km away. At 260.5 metres, the structure was built upon the waters of the Bhagirathi and Bhilangana tributaries of the Ganga. The river has been embedded in the cultural cosmology and livelihoods of the local population. Also Read – Insider threat managementThe Tehri jheel (lake), which formed as a result of this dam, submerged nearly 55 square kms of the fertile river valley. In Garhwal, where over 70 per cent population depends on agriculture for livelihood and only 12 per cent land can be used for cultivation, this proved to be calamitous. Even before the dam began functioning in 2006, it had submerged the town of Tehri and affected close to 125 villages. This led to the displacement of over 1 lakh people. But the sequence of such displacements continues due to silting and landslides along the reservoir’s periphery. The region is situated along the highly active Lower Himalayan fault line, where earthquakes with a magnitude of 8.5 or greater are highly probable. A study carried out by the National Geophysical Research Institute in 2012 found smaller earthquakes in a radius of 20 km linked to changes in reservoir levels at the Tehri dam. These added to the already existing menace of landslides which were common in the area due to deforestation and incessant constructions. There are several Tehris in the pipeline. To avoid this we must encourage knowledge which leads away from incessant supply of water. India’s future water needs stand compromised due to overdependence on conventional water supply and consumption frameworks. This demands a renewed focus on an inclusive approach towards urban water management. So, when the water gushes out of our taps next time, let’s be aware of its journey. (Saakshi Joshi is a Senior Research Associate with the Urban Water-Waste Management Unit, CSE. Her current work includes capacity building and policy research for urban water and sanitation management. The views expressed are strictly personal)
Bhubaneswar: The death toll in Cyclone Fani rose to 29 on Sunday, two days after the “extremely severe” storm barrelled through coastal Odisha, causing widespread destruction and leaving hundreds grappling with water shortage and power cuts, an official said.Announcing a relief package for those affected by the calamity, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said all families in Puri and in those parts of Khurda, which had been “extremely severely affected” in the storm, will get 50 kg of rice, Rs 2,000 in cash and polythene sheets, if covered under the Food Security Act (FSA). Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkFor the rest of Khurda district – categorised as “severely” affected – the FSA families will get a month’s quota of rice, Rs 1,000 in cash and polythene sheets, he added. Those living in the “moderately-affected” districts of Cuttack, Kendrapara and Jagatsinghpur will be eligible for a month’s quota of rice and Rs 500 in cash, Patnaik said. The chief minister also announced an assistance of Rs 95,100 for “fully-damaged” houses, Rs 52,000 for “partially-damaged” houses and Rs 3,200 for houses that had suffered minor damage. Talking to reporters here, Patnaik claimed that water supply had been restored in 70 per cent areas of the worst-hit Puri town and 40 per cent of the places in state capital Bhubaneswar. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygen”I am hoping that water supply will be fully restored in Bhubaneswar shortly and at least in 90 per cent areas of Puri town by this evening,” the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) chief, who is seeking a fifth term in office, said. “The government has made arrangements to provide cooked food for free over the next 15 days. We will also take up tree plantation on a mission mode,” he added. According to state Chief Secretary A P Padhi, 21 of the 29 deaths were registered in the pilgrim town of Puri, where the storm made landfall on Friday.
Juventus are among the favourites for the Champions League this season according to former Italian manager Marcello Lippi.Lippi who is a Bianconeri legend was the last tactician to win the trophy in 1996 when they defeated Ajax in the final.However, the World-cup winning coach thinks Juve can end that hoodoo this season.“Juve are among the favourites for the Champions League this season,” Lippi said on Radio Sportiva.“They’re in a group with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester City, and Paris Saint-Germain.“Until last year they could enter that group, but they weren’t there automatically. However, I think the other Italian teams are a bit more far away.”Juventus confirm Mario Mandzukic could leave this month Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Sporting director Fabio Paratici confirmed reports that Mario Mandzukic could leave Juventus for a move to an unnamed Qatari team.Lippi won the World Cup with Italy in 2006, and the last international break saw the first XI which didn’t feature any of those players.“It means we’ve become old, not just me but my players too!“Joking aside, Italy – as Milan are doing – should take some players who have done well as points of reference and build on those players.“I think they’re in good condition; we’re not so bad. We have good players like [Federico] Bernardeschi, [Federico] Chiesa, [Bryan] Cristante and [Lorenzo] Pellegrini but I like everyone.“Now they’re all playing for their club teams which proves that, even if there are a lot of foreigners, it’s not true that Italy isn’t producing players.“Obviously we’re upset now because we didn’t qualify for the World Cup, but it’s right to be patient with this group of players.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, September 21, 2017 – Nassau – “We have a commitment to make The Bahamas a better place to work and live for every Bahamian worker,” said Minister of Labour Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes while officially opening the National Tripartite Council Productivity Legislation two-day-workshop, September 20, 2017 at the Department of Labour.“That is why the establishment of a Bahamian National Productivity Council is important for the future development of The Bahamas,” said Minister Foulkes. On behalf of The Government Minister Foulkes thanked the International Labour Organization (ILO) for its commitment over the years.Sponsored by the ILO and the Department of Labour, Minister Foulkes said, it is envisioned that over the two days members of the Tripartite Council and other stakeholders will evaluate the state of productivity in The Bahamas.Additionally, workshop participants are expected to get an overview of the operational aspects of the productivity councils of Barbados and Jamaica in preparation for establishment of regulations, policies and procedures for The Bahamas’ own productivity council, Minister Foulkes said.By: Stirling Strachan (BIS)Photo credit: Senator the Hon. Dion Foulkes, Minister of Labour officially opened a two-day workshop sponsored by the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Department of Labour on Wednesday at the Department of Labour. Minister Foulkes is pictured addressing the forum, and speaking with Kelvin Sergeant, ILO specialist for sustainable enterprise and job creation during the opening ceremony.(BIS Photos/Derek Smith) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: