Kolkata: In a bid to make its borough offices safe from lightning strikes, the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has planned to install lightning arrester devices on roofs of all of them.Boroughs X, XI and XII have already been earmarked for setting up the device and the rest will follow in due course. The move comes in the wake of the tragic death of a Dum Dum resident who was electrocuted after lightning struck the south gate of Victoria Memorial, where he had gone to celebrate his wife’s birthday on August 17. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja”It rained cats and dogs for a long time and the bolts of lightning were alarming. We were keeping our fingers crossed fearing that if lightning struck our borough offices, it could have damaged electrical equipment including the computer and server. Luckily there was no such strike but we decided that we should install lighting arresters in all our 16 borough offices on an urgent basis,” a senior official of the Lighting and Electrical department said. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe department will install GI pipe arrester and not copper ones owing to the cost-effectiveness. The former type is priced lesser than the latter and the specifications of the state Public Works department will be followed in this regard. It may be mentioned that KMC has already started installing such devices in the parks across the city and four of them have come up at Deshapriya Park in South Kolkata. Deshbandhu Park in North Kolkata and Maddox Square are some of the other parks where similar facilities have been installed. In June 2018, young cricketer Debabrata Pal was warming up with his teammates before he was struck by a bolt of lightning and killed at Vivekananda Park. “We will install such lighting arresters in all the parks in phases and those with a larger area will get the facilities first,” said Debasish Kumar, Member, Mayor-in-Council (Parks and Gardens). KMC is the custodian of as many as 700 parks spanning across 144 wards of the civic body. These lightning catcher devices have the capacity to draw lightning away from reach the ground, thereby minimising the damage.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The Senate Armed Services Committee adopted the Defense Department’s proposal to slash funding for commissaries by $322 million as an initial step to scaling back the federal subsidy for military grocery stores, under the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill the panel approved May 14.DOD’s cost-cutting plan would trim the overall savings for military families and veterans from an average of 30 percent to 28 percent, reported Stars and Stripes. More than half of the savings — representing a 23 percent funding cut for the Defense Commissary Agency — would come from operating efficiencies, including reducing staff, store hours and the days stores are open.Other changes would help make commissaries self-supporting, such as allowing them to use some of the five percent surcharge collected from customers to buy operating supplies. Those, however, would require congressional action.The measure also calls for privatizing at least five military commissaries under a two-year pilot program and the Governmental Accountability Office to assess the potential costs and benefits of privatizing the entire network of military grocery stores.Advocates for military families and veterans say the moves would mark a significant step toward phasing out on-base discounts for service members.The authorization bill passed by the House on May 15, H.R. 1735, rejected the department’s cost-cutting reforms for the commissary agency.The Senate bill also accepted DOD’s proposal to reduce increases in the basic allowance for housing so that it covers only 95 percent of housing costs, according to the story. Last year, the final version of the defense policy bill trimmed increases in the allowance by one percentage point as a compromise between the two chambers. The House again this year rebuffed DOD’s plan to trim the increase in the housing allowance.
Obaidul Quader. File PhotoThe chief election commissioner, KM Nurul Huda, has explained to Awami League why he called former president Ziaur Rahman the founder of multiparty democracy in the country.CEC made the explanation during a dialogue between the election commission and the ruling Bangladesh Awami League (AL) at the commission secretariat at Agargaon in the capital on Wednesday, AL general secretary Obaidul Quader told newsmen after the talks.He, however, said the AL would not disclose the explanation.Read more: Zia restored multi-party democracy: CEC HudaDuring EC’s talks with AL’s primary rival Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) earlier on 16 October, CEC KM Nurul Huda who was appointed during this regime of AL had said BNP founder Ziaur Rahman restored multiparty democracy in the country.The CEC’s statement apparently irked AL leaders and its allies.Talking to newsmen on Monday, AL general secretary Quader had said the CEC’s remark that BNP founder Ziaur Rahman restored multiparty democracy in the country might be a tactic to bring the party to elections.He also had said the party would seek explanation from the CEC during its today’s talks.”We got the explanation, but won’t disclose it. If necessary, the election commission will give the explanation,” said Obaidul Quader on Wednesday after talks with EC.Read more: ‘AL to know details of CEC’s Zia remark during its meet with EC’A 21-member Awami League delegation, led by Quader, joined the electoral talks held with chief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda in the chair.“Today’s remarks of the chief election commissioner, other commissioners and the secretary were positive. The dialogue with the election commission is fruitful,” he added.Awami League placed an 11-point proposal, including introduction of the use of electronic voting machines (EVMs), for holding the next general election in a credible manner.In the dialogue that lasted for nearly two hours and 15 minutes, the ruling party also proposed submission of the list of polling agents to presiding officers and assistant presiding officers three days before the polling day.Dwelling on deployment of military troops during the elections, the AL said Sections 129-131 of the Code of Criminal Procedure aka CrPC and the section titled ‘In Aid To Civil Power’ of the rules on army have described well when the military troops can be deployed and in which context.
By Mark F. Gray, AFRO Staff Writer, email@example.comFor nearly one year, the University of Maryland has been trying to overcome its culpability in the death of former offensive lineman Jordan McNair. One day after the athletic department announced its plans for its spring football game in April; the University provided a synopsis of the progress made by the department on implementing over 40 recommendations issued in the Walters Report, which revamps procedures for handling medical emergencies that potentially arise during athletic practices.McNair, a Baltimore native who played high school football at McDonough, lost his life due to the inefficiency of previous athletic training staff when he began suffering signs of heatstroke during last year’s spring practice. The subsequent investigation revealed that McNair did not receive proper treatment for more than an hour and he never recovered. His death led to the firing of then head coach D.J. Durkin and his handpicked strength and conditioning coach Rick Court, and a potentially lucrative settlement with McNair’s family.The University of Maryland football team must adhere to new changes to practice after student-athlete Jordan McNair died from heat-related complications he experienced during a practice. (Courtesy Photo)Athletic Director Damon Evans was flanked by first year head coach Mike Locksley during a presentation before an advisory committee established by the University System Board of Regents to monitor the University of Maryland athletics department. During the announcement, Evans said that the department has 18 of the 20 policy improvements implemented to keep student-athletes safe in the event of a health emergency.The 19th would create an outside advisory panel that constantly oversees the training staff’s protocols and procedures. Dr. Rod Walters is currently leading the panel and the rest of the board expects to be announced in the coming weeks.Walters was hired last spring by the University to investigate and provide solutions to the procedures, or lack thereof, and offer improvements to what was in place at the time of McNair’s crisis. Two of the suggestions, which are standard operating procedures for most athletic facilities, may have already paid dividends when a current athlete appeared to be having a heat related issue but was immediately transported to the University of Maryland’s Shock Trauma Center last week, according to the Baltimore Sun.During a recent workout with teammates Raymond Boone, a defensive back from Greenbelt, MD., also reportedly became ill in the new practice facility at Cole Field House. Boone was placed in an ice bath before he was transported to the hospital in Baltimore. Although his physical distress was not heat related, the new mandated protocols that were in place eased his condition.During the presentation, Evans stated the University’s medically certified trainers still report to an associate athletic director. However, another report recommended an “independent care” model, which moves the entire training staff to a separate chain of command. However, that is an issue still being evaluated by the athletics department.“We’re going to put the model in place that’s going to be best for our student-athletes [and] provide the best possible health care,” Evans said. “Hopefully, in the coming months we’ll be able to clearly identify what that model is.”Evans also acknowledged there is a new emphasis on channels of communication so that athletes can be comfortable registering complaints about treatment from coaches and other staff members including an anonymous online portal. This is in response to the reports of a “toxic culture” assessment by players.Locksley, who will lead spring practice for the first time as head coach next month calls the changes a “game plan” for the safety of athletes.“These recommendations and the oversight that comes with them will put the school at the forefront of player safety,” Locksley said.
In a big push for women’s empowerment in the country, the founder of the initiative MARD (Men Against Rape and Discrimination), Farhan Akhtar extended support to the popular trans media serial, Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon.“Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon has shown great potential of being a catalyst for change as seen from the feedback the serial has received. Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon representing women’s empowerment, and MARD, representing responsible masculinity, have come together as Hum Kuch Bhi Kar Sakte Hain to bring in the change we want to see. Women can achieve anything, they need to have the confidence and belief in themselves and society needs to create an environment of support and safety. Men play an important role in the creation of such an environment by being sensitive to these aspirations and by treating women as equals,” said Farhan Akhtar. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon challenges deep-rooted social norms like child marriage, early pregnancy and gender based violence. Season Two began telecast on April 4, 2015 on Doordarshan and will run every Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 pm.During its first season, Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon was one of the top three serials in its time slot during the course of its telecast. Season Two of Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon continues the inspiring journey of Dr Sneha, representing the young Indian woman of today, who thrives on challenges. The story also depicts issues of adolescents as they aspire to reach their potential. It shows the changes that takes place in a society as a group of girls come together to form a football team. The series has been written, produced and directed by Feroz Abbas Khan, eminent theatre and film director and the creative force behind Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon. It is a venture close to his heart where his aesthetic sensibilities and deep commitment to social causes come together. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixJawhar Sircar, Chief Executive Officer, Prasar Bharti, said, “After the resounding success of Season One, I am delighted that PFI is launching Season Two of Main Kuch Bhi Kar Sakti Hoon. Television programmes such as this have great potential to bring in change.” The series has been produced after extensive research by PFI and guided by the highly respected entertainment education expert, Dr Arvind Singhal.