By Ian ChadbandChelsea opened a six-point lead in the Premier League on Sunday following a 1-1 draw with Southampton as Manchester United enjoyed perhaps their finest performance yet under Louis van Gaal with a 3-0 trouncing of Tottenham Hotspur.Chelsea increased their advantage over Manchester City despite Diego Costa’s 11th minute close-range header being answered eight minutes later by Dusan Tadic’s fortuitous penalty in an absorbing encounter at Stamford Bridge.Yet United, so often criticised for being slow and directionless under Dutchman Van Gaal, produced the most electric performance of the day, crushing Spurs with first-half goals from Marouane Fellaini, Michael Carrick and Wayne Rooney.A national newspaper ran a bizarre story on Sunday about Rooney being filmed getting knocked out by his friend, Stoke City player Phil Bardsley, in a boxing bout in Rooney’s kitchen.Rooney’s amused response after his goal was to celebrate by throwing a few shadow punches before falling theatrically on to his back amid delighted cheers from the United faithful.Chelsea, on 64 points, still have a game in hand on Manchester City, who were beaten at Burnley on Saturday.United, with 56 points, have climbed within a point of Arsenal and two of their cross-city rivals City as well as moving five points clear of fifth-placed Liverpool.Their win also seriously dents the Champions League qualifying hopes of Spurs who, on 50 points, are now behind sixth-placed Southampton on goal difference and struggling to keep alive their hopes of a top-four finish.At Stamford Bridge, a traumatic week for Chelsea, knocked out of the Champions League by Paris St Germain at the last 16 stage and heavily criticised for the on-pitch behaviour of their players, ended with a little more frustration.Manager Jose Mourinho, though, made light of not picking up the three points. “I agree Chelsea not winning at home is not a good result, but we had a five-point lead before the match and afterwards we have a six-point lead,” he said.“Now we have six points more and one fewer match to play. It makes our situation better than before the game. It’s positive rather than negative.”Southampton caused problems in the opening period but Chelsea asserted their authority after the break with Costa clipping the post while captain John Terry was also denied in a frantic finish.Mourinho was also unhappy that, after Costa capitalised on inexplicably static defending from Southampton to head home Branislav Ivanovic’s cross, Southampton were awarded a penalty when Sadio Mane was adjudged to have been felled by Nemanja Matic.Tadic converted from the spot, although his tame effort was fortunate to beat the trailing feet of Thibaut Courtois.United, reeling from Monday’s FA Cup defeat by Arsenal, produced a performance Old Trafford had been longing for as they blew fellow top-four chasers Spurs away with the pace, precision and directness missing so often in Van Gaal’s unloved reign.Fellaini, released by Carrick’s intelligent through ball, put them ahead after nine minutes with a sweet left-foot strike, before Carrick headed home from distance 10 minutes later after the excellent Fellaini had wrought more havoc.Rooney’s bustling run and cool finish after 34 minutes provided the knockout blow.In Sunday’s other game, Everton eased pressure on manager Roberto Martinez with their first home league success in three months with a 3-0 win over 10-man Newcastle United, with goals from James McCarthy, a Romelu Lukaku penalty and Ross Barkley.Newcastle had Fabricio Coloccini sent off just before the hour for a foul on Aaron Lennon.It was Everton’s second win in their last 13 Premier League matches.
West Ham United have sacked manager Slaven Bilic after they dropped into the relegation zone following Saturday’s 4-1 home defeat by Liverpool, the Premier League club said on Monday.The Croatian replaced Sam Allardyce in June, 2015 and led West Ham to a seventh-placed finish in his first season. He also oversaw their move to the London Stadium but has won just two out of 11 league games in this campaign.“West Ham United can confirm that Slaven Bilic has today left his position with the club,” West Ham said in a statement.The club said they “believe a change is now necessary in order for the club to move forward positively and in line with their ambition”.“The club’s search for a new manager to take West Ham United forward is underway and an announcement regarding Bilic’s successor is expected to be made over the coming days,” the statement added.Former Everton, Manchester United and Sunderland manager David Moyes, who is currently out of work, has been strongly linked with the position.Moyes told BeInSport on Sunday that he was willing to take on the challenge of keeping the Hammers in the Premier League.“I’ve always said I want to go back into club management. If the right opportunity comes around, I’ll be interested.”Asked about West Ham before Bilic’s sacking, the 54-year-old, who also had a brief and unsuccessful spell with Real Sociedad in Spain, said: “I am interested but at the moment that vacancy has not become available. I know what Slaven must be going through.”Bilic, who played as a defender for West Ham, has been under pressure throughout this campaign and although a League Cup win over Tottenham bought him time, a draw at bottom club Crystal Palace and the heavy home loss to Liverpool sealed his fate.The Croatian’s coaching assistants Nikola Jurcevic, Edin Terzic, Julian Dicks and Miljenko Rak have also left the club.
From L-R: Lucas Managuelod, Bambol Tolentino, Ricky Vargas and Sonny Barrios. Photo by Marc ReyesPhilippine Olympic Committee presidential candidate Ricky Vargas could not say if “he has the numbers” because the voting national sports association leaders “fear coming out.”On Monday, the Association of Boxing Alliances of the Philippine president filed his candidacy at the POC offices with a full lineup under his banner.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughter Back on top and how Brad Pitt wins his first acting Oscar as awards get underway BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. BREAKING: Solicitor General asks SC to forfeit ABS CBN’s franchise 30 Filipinos from Wuhan quarantined in Capas We are young Smart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH EDITORS’ PICK Cycling’s Bambol Tolentino is running for chair, badminton’s Albee Benitez for first vice president, muay thai’s Lucas Managuelod second vice president, basketball’s Sonny Barrios treasurer, and table tennis’ Ting Ledesma auditor.Vargas said they will “adopt as common candidates” five of the seven NSAs who filed for candidacy for executive board positions in the Nov. 25 polls.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSWe are youngSPORTSCone plans to speak with Slaughter, agent“The 12-year dispensation has caused them to fear coming out,” said Vargas during a breakfast caucus at Marco Polo Hotel in Ortigas. “We are now under that kind of a scenario.”He likened his showdown with three-term incumbent Jose “Peping” Cojuangco Jr., as a battle “between David and Goliath.” “David said I will go to battle with you, problem is Goliath is not allowing us to go to battle with him,” said Vargas.Vargas used the analogy after he was asked about an election provision barring him from running because he has not attended a POC General Assembly the past years.“If you look at that rule which is not even in the by-laws, only he (Cojuangco) and his group would qualify,” Vargas said: “Just allow an election. Just let us run. Let me run.” The Maynilad boss said he will resign from his job if the POC presidency requires it. ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Mainland China virus cases exceed 40,000; deaths rise to 908 Team ‘Trabaho’ scores championship title at the last leg of Smart Siklab Saya Manila Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan PLAY LIST 01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND View comments
Worries about jobs and the economy flared in September, driving a key barometer of consumer sentiment to its lowest level in nearly two years, a private research group said. The bad news was compounded by a report from the National Association of Realtors that sales of existing homes declined for a sixth straight month in August, pushing activity to the lowest point in five years. The Realtors showed a rise in median home prices, but a separate report done by S&P/Case-Shiller said home prices fell 3.9 percent in July in its 20-city index. Economists said that decline was probably a better reflection of where the market stands now. The New York-based Conference Board said its Consumer Confidence Index fell to 99.8, an almost 6-point drop from the revised 105.6 in August. The reading was below the 104.5 that analysts had expected. It marked its lowest level since a 98.3 reading in November 2005, when gas and oil prices soared after hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated the Gulf Coast. “Weaker business conditions combined with a less favorable job market continue to cast a cloud over consumers and heighten their sense of uncertainty and concern,” said Lynn Franco, director of The Conference Board Consumer Research Center, in a statement. “Looking ahead, little economic improvement is expected, and with the holiday season around the corner, this is not welcome news.” The Present Situation Index, which measures how shoppers feel now about the economy, declined to 121.7 from 130.1 in August. The Expectations Index, which measures shoppers’ outlook over the next six months, declined to 85.2 from 89.2. Economists closely monitor confidence since consumer spending accounts for two-thirds of U.S. economic activity. The National Association of Realtors reported Tuesday that sales of existing single-family homes dropped 4.3 percent in August, compared with July. Sales at a seasonally adjusted annual rate dropped to 5.5 million units, the slowest pace since August 2002. Tuesday’s reports showing eroding consumer confidence and a further weakening of housing do not bode well for retailers, who already are bracing for a challenging holiday season. Merchants have seen spending slow all year amid falling home prices and higher gas and food bills. Financial turmoil in August and escalating problems in the credit market have made economists and retailers more nervous about the prospects for a decent holiday shopping season. The Washington, D.C.-based National Retail Federation last week predicted total holiday sales will be up 4 percent for the combined November and December period, the slowest growth since a 1.3 percent rise in 2002. Holiday sales rose 4.6 percent in 2006, and growth has averaged 4.8percent over the last decade. “Our forecast has built in weak consumer confidence and the tough housing market,” said NRF spokesman Scott Krugman. “If anything, this tells us that our forecast is in the right direction in terms of being so cautious.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Philana Patterson THE ASSOCIATED PRESS NEW YORK – Crumbling consumer confidence and slumping home sales could prove to be a bad combination for retailers, and for the broader economy going into the holiday shopping season, if the labor market contracts further and chokes off spending, economic data showed Tuesday. But markets took some heart from the warning signs, hoping that they would goad the Federal Reserve to lower interest rates more.
England are serious contenders for the Euro 2016 crown, according to Germany head coach Joachim Low.Roy Hodgson’s men travel to Berlin for a mouth-watering friendly against the world champions on Saturday, as they step-up their preparations for France.England reached this summer’s finals with a 100 per cent record in qualification – the only country to manage the feat, although the level of opposition meant there will been toughest test awaiting them at the tournament.Upcoming friendlies against Germany and Holland will give a more accurate reflection of how the Three Lions are shaping up.But Low expects them to challenge the Germans for the title.“This will be a taste of what we can expect at the Euros,” the Germany head coach said, speaking ahead of the friendlies against England and Italy.“The opponents are both interesting and are two of the favourites to win the European Championship. It will be a good test.“The battle for places in the squad is seriously beginning now – there are still eight weeks until the end of the season.“We have selected a large squad in order to speak with the players about what we expect. We are looking at their form and fitness as a whole.”Emre Can, Mesut Ozil and Bastian Schweinsteiger are the only Premier League representatives in Germany’s 26-man squad for the upcoming friendlies. Germany head coach Joachim Low is wary of England ahead of Euro 2016 1
1 Wes Morgan remains sidelined Leicester will be without captain Wes Morgan against both Everton and Atletico Madrid as the defender continues to nurse a back injury.Morgan has missed the last three matches and he will remain on the sidelines at Goodison Park on Sunday, as well as sitting out the first leg of the Champions League quarter-final at the Vicente Calderon next Wednesday.The 33-year-old has done some light training this week but Yohan Benalouane will continue to deputise at centre-half against Everton.“Wes Morgan is still out, although he’s put his boots on and been on the grass,” said Leicester boss Craig Shakespeare.“It would be a lot to ask him to come back for a game of that magnitude in Madrid. I would want him to do a few training sessions first and at the moment that looks highly unlikely.“It is a big loss but Yohan (Benalouane) has come in and done well.“Wes, since I’ve been here, rarely misses a day’s training. It is a new experience. He is still in and around the lads, playing a part off the pitch. He comes in the dressing room, before the game and at half-time. I encourage him to be in and around it.”Asked if he might rest key players against Everton, just three days ahead of the club’s first ever Champions League quarter-final, Shakespeare added: “I’ll assess the squad over the next 24 hours.“I’ll talk to the staff and I will pick a team who can win the game at Everton. My sole focus is on Everton, not Madrid.”Shakespeare will join Carlo Ancelotti and Pep Guardiola as the only managers to win their first six Premier League games should Leicester win at Goodison Park.The 53-year-old includes Liverpool and Sevilla among his scalps but he thinks Everton will pose his toughest challenge yet.He said: “Potentially it is. Ronald Koeman has done a great job. To be a minute away from winning at Old Trafford the other night shows where they are at.“The idea is to win, and if you can’t win you make sure you don’t lose. I couldn’t have asked for a better start. “It means more to get three points, rather than records – which are nice. But it is more about the three points and the team.”
Donyell Malen has left Arsenal to return to Holland 1 Arsenal starlet Donyell Malen has joined PSV Eindhoven.The 18-year-old moved to the Emirates with a big reputation in 2015 after coming through the ranks at Ajax.The forward reportedly turned down offers from Chelsea and Manchester United to make the move and he has impressed for Arsenal’s youth teams.During his time with the Gunners, Malen managed 67 appearances for the academy and scored 27 times.However, the teenager has now joined PSV after they agreed a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREFrumpy Middle-aged Mom: My realistic 2020 New Year’s resolutions. Some involve doughnuts. MONTEBELLO – The Montebello City Council voted unanmously Wednesday to negotiate a contract for videotaping council meetings, although some of the members expressed reservations about the lone applicant, Philip Wilcox. Wilcox, owner of video company PM24, had caused a stir in February when he showed up with two Montebello High School students to tape a meeting. Councilmembers Bill Molinari and Rosie Vasquez both questioned, among other things, whether Wilcox would be able to meet the minimum insurance requirements demanded by the city. “We set the criteria when we send out the RFP (request for proposal) and it seems to me that according to what we sent out, it was not met,” Vasquez said. 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“It’s important to keep taking it one game at a time to try and perform as best you can during each match and try to ignore the noise around you. “(Number one) came earlier than I first anticipated after a hectic few months, which is great, but now it’s important that it’s business as usual. It will make for an exciting battle in London but also for next season.”Djokovic began his title defence with a 6-7 (10/12) 6-0 6-2 victory over Dominic Thiem on Sunday. Andy Murray says he will “ignore the noise” over his new status as world number one as he starts his ATP World Tour Finals campaign against Marin Cilic.The Scottish star became the world’s best player last week and must match or better Novak Djokovic’s performance in London to stay top of the pile.In Cilic, the British number one faces one of the tour’s in-form players and Murray says his focus is progressing from the group which also contains Stan Wawrinka and Kei Nishikori.He said: “It’s an incredible feeling to have made to world number one, and it’s something I’m very proud to have achieved.