dhekiyhb

Historic Status For D’Amico Home, Art Barge?

first_img The exterior of the Art Barge. The interior of the Art Barge. Independent/T.E. McMorrowSupporters of the Victor D’Amico Institute of Art, better known as the Art Barge, and the Victor and Mabel D’Amico Lazy Point house, showed up in numbers for a public hearing in front of the East Hampton Town Board Thursday evening, August 15. The board is considering whether the two structures, hot spots for art in post-World War II America, should receive historic designation.Christopher Kohan, the executive director of the Art Barge’s board of trustees, told the board he had first come to the Art Barge in 1975. He gave a history of the iconic, idiosyncratic structure.Victor and Mabel D’Amico owned the land where the Art Barge is located. He wanted to create a new art school in East Hampton Town, after having taught art classes in Ashawagh Hall in Springs in the 1940s.D’Amico came up with the idea of using a WWII barge. “Repurposing” was essential to the D’Amicos. Tugboats towed the barge “from Jersey City up the East River, and out along the Long Island Sound,” Kohan said. The barge was beached where it currently rests, on the land owned by D’Amico.“The story he told me is that when he came to the town board then, they asked him who his backers were,” Kohan told the board. D’Amico, the founding director of education for the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, rattled off the names of the board of trustees at the museum, starting with Nelson Rockefeller. The board quickly gave their approval, and the Art Barge was issued a certificate of occupancy soon after.“History can really share not only the past, but also gives something for the future,” Kohan told the board on August 15.Joyce Raimondo, who began teaching art at the Art Barge in the 1990, said, “I was so deeply moved by Victor D’Amico’s legacy and how it is alive at the Art Barge then, and how it is alive today,” she said.“Victor D’Amico believed that everyone — children, teens, adults, regardless of your educational status, regardless of your financial status, or even your ability to create art — has a right to be expressive and to create,” she said, concluding, “It would be so sad if that was not preserved for future generations.”Joan Edwards of Amagansett said, “The D’Amicos have been a part of our cultural and social history.” She spoke specifically about the house in Lazy Point, saying it is “an amazing place. The design is a unique blend of function and art, in a small space. It is also an example of repurposing.” She shared an anecdote. When the D’Amicos were building their house, using parts from another house, “Jackson Pollock suggested that the windows run all the way to the ground.” And so, they do.Orly Friedman, treasurer of the Victor D’Amico Institute for Art, told the town board that “giving the Barge and the D’Amico house historic status will be an impetus for us to start documenting what Victor did for arts, for art education.” She said in a forward to one of her books, the noted late photographer Diane Arbus wrote about D’Amico, that “he put the camera in her hand.”A visitor to the Art Barge was given a tour by Jim Bergesen, an artist who is one of the seasonal teachers there. A walk-through revealed a sprawling space that is, at the same time, intimate. There are open areas, as well as numerous nooks and crannies, each with its own educational and artistic purpose.Esperanza Leon, who has been the coordinating director of the D’Amico Art Institute since 2017, said on August 16 that the Institute is about to launch a funding drive, to repair the bulkheads damaged in a storm last year at the Art Barge. It is already halfway to its $200,000 goal.Regarding the historic status being considered by the town, Leon said, “They are two very, very special places. I admire and respect Chris Kohan so much for his efforts to steward all of this. It is so important to continue this, because we all are here for a limited time. How can we make this go onanother 60 years and beyond?”t.e@indyeastend.com The interior of the Art Barge. center_img Sharelast_img read more

0COMMENTS

ASCO and Kryo open new service centre in Africa

first_imgGet instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribelast_img

0COMMENTS

Sabik Presents Marking for European Offshore Wind Farms

first_imgPress release, January 29, 2014; Image: sabik Sabik has presented the first standardised marine aids to navigation solution for European projects.With the new NAi product range (Navigation Aids Interface) Sabik provides the complete solution for the permanent marking of offshore wind farms.It consists of an intelligent control and monitoring unit, the LightGuard NAi Controller, and individually selectable components, which are connected to the controller via NAi Field Bus.last_img

0COMMENTS

Building buys a pint … for Crofton

first_imgTo continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe now for unlimited accesslast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Legal: Agreed in principle

first_imgSubscribe now for unlimited access Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Get your free guest access  SIGN UP TODAY Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our communitylast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Minister shows no sign of budging over PI reforms

first_imgJustice minister Sir Oliver Heald has shown no indication the government will back down over any of its proposals for personal injury reforms.Speaking in a House of Commons debate on Wednesday, Heald appeared to suggest he was still convinced insurers will pass on the savings from reforms.A consultation closed last Friday asking about raising the small claims court limit to £5,000 and reducing – or scrapping altogether – general damages for soft tissue injuries.Labour MP Rob Marris, a former partner at claimant firm Thompsons, had called the debate and set out the case against reform.But Heald responded by asking whether it was ‘really right that motorists should each pay £40 a year extra, simply so that the sort of solicitors firms he referred to can continue to do work on these very small claims?’.He stated that the number of road claims has gone up from 460,000 in 2005-06 to 770,000 in 2015-16, and that 90% of them are for whiplash at a time when roads are getting safer and cars have seen road safety improvements.Heald said: ‘If we can save £40 per head on motor insurance policies, clearly those are issues that we should be consulting on and considering very seriously.‘Also, it is worth bearing in mind that the £1,000 limit for these cases was set in 1991, more than 25 years ago. Since then, the small claims limit for everything else has gone up to £10,000, so the review is very much needed.’He suggested that litigants would still be able to bring their own cases before the small claims court, and they could try to reach an agreement with their lawyer about how their case is funded.‘Of course, the point is that they cannot recover costs, but there is no ban on taking legal advice, though clearly people would need to look at the economics of that,’ added Heald.Earlier in the debate, one of the most prominent advocates for reform, Chris Philp, MP for Croydon South, appeared unsure about how far the consultation extends.Philp said he could ‘fully accept’ that where a cyclist or motorist has broken a rib, wrist or leg, their claim is ‘perfectly valid and verifiable and should be allowed to proceed’.When Marris pointed out the £5,000 small claims limit would apply to those cases as well, Philp replied: ‘Well, certainly the consultation document refers on its front page to soft tissue injuries.‘I am sure that the minister will consider how that might apply to broken bones, but the title of the consultation refers to soft tissue injuries only.’last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Miramar Netball Court Named in Honor of Netball Legend Grace Bailey

first_imgMIRAMAR – On December 11, the City of Miramar paid tribute to former longtime Miramar resident and former President of the Florida Netball Association, Grace Bailey who died on July 17.At a ceremony at the newly renovated netball courts at the Ansin Sports Complex,  the courts adjacent to the state-of-the- art sports complex were named in honor of Bailey, in accordance to the unanimous agreement of the city commission in response to a proclamation sponsored by Vice Mayor Alexandra Davis.At the dedication ceremony, Mayor Wayne Messam offered condolences to Bailey’s family, who was in attendance. He cited that the occasion was a moment to celebrate Bailey’s drive and her desire to ensure the sport of netball got the presence and prominence it deserved.Vice Mayor Alexandra Davis introduced guest speaker, Rev. Dr. Edina Bayne, Development Director for the Florida Netball Association, who paid tribute to Bailey and her legacy. Rev. Dr. Bayne spoke of Ms. Bailey’s 30 years of commitment to the sport and 23 years as a Miramar resident. “Grace Bailey made netball a household name and made it her mission to share the sport with all people of all ages. She was unrelenting in her fight to ensure that the courts in Miramar and other cities were effectively utilized,” Rev. Dr. Bayne stated.Commissioner Maxwell Chambers and Commissioner Yvette Colbourne also addressed the audience and supported the sentiments shared by all the speakers.The dedication ceremony concluded with a plaque presentation by Vice Mayor Davis to Bailey’s family. Vice Mayor Davis stated, “Grace Bailey was a tremendous ambassador for the sport of netball. She believed in hard work and was an inspiration to so many young girls.”The Ansin Sports Complex Netball Courts located at 10801 Miramar Boulevard, Miramar, FL 33025, are now officially dedicated to Ms. Grace Bailey, in memory of her many years of service and dedication to the sport of netball as a player, coach and mentor.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Teacher fined $2000 for drug possession

first_img 171 Views   13 comments Tweet Share Share Sharing is caring!center_img LocalNews Teacher fined $2000 for drug possession by: – October 17, 2013 Share Victor JohnA secondary school teacher has been fined $2000.00 dollars after he pleaded guilty to a drug related matter at a Roseau Magistrate court on Thursday, 17th October. Grenadian born, Victor John was charged along with his wife, chief dental officer Idaline John and their son, Shanon Victor John for possession of cannabis, possession with intent to supply 227 grams of cannabis and cultivation of 23 plants of cannabis. Victor John pleaded guilty to all charges, while Idaline John and Shanon Victor John pleaded not guilty to the charges. A police report indicates that on the morning of Tuesday October 15 at about 5:30am, police conducted a search on the premise of the John family at their Sultan residence. When Victor John was asked whether he had anything illegal on his property he replied no. However, when police officers visited the ground floor of the building they found some cannabis leaves. Victor was asked to identify the item found and he told police, “a little weed that there”. The police asked Mr. John whether he had any more cannabis, he then responded; “let me show you something. It was then he took a grey t-shirt and handed it over to the police, he told police “the rest of the weed that there”. The police continued their search and found some cannabis plants in a flower pot. They also found 23 cannabis plants in a green house on John’s property. John told police “I am just doing a little farming so I plant it in between,” he said. Attorney Kondwani Williams, who represented the three family members, asked the court to be lenient on his client due to the fact that he pleaded guilty to the charges and that he cooperated with the police during their investigation. Williams further stated that his client, John Victor who also taught him at high school is a very humble man, whom had already caused enough embarrassment to his wife and son by having them in custody with him.He said further that his client would also have to deal with the difficulty with his job as a teacher since he has been charged with such an offence.The court also heard that it was John’s workers on his farm who cultivated the cannabis. Before handing down sentence, magistrate Candia Carrette George told the John that he must be careful of the things cultivated on his property. “I will not impose a custodial sentence on you just because you did not waste the courts time and pleaded guilty to the offence and that is also your first offence”. Victor John was fined $1,000.00 for possession with intent to supply 227 grams of cannabis which must be paid by 30th November or in default three months in prison and $1,000.00 for the cultivation of 23 plants of cannabis by 30th December or in default three months in prison. There was no separate fine for the possession of cannabis charge. The prosecution did not offer any evidence against Dr. Idaline John and son Shanon Victor John in the matter; hence they freely walked out of the courtroom. Dominica Vibes Newslast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Frito Lay joins 2018 Jazz ‘n Creole Kids Zone

first_imgBusinessLocalNews Frito Lay joins 2018 Jazz ‘n Creole Kids Zone by: – May 12, 2018 Sharing is caring! Share Tweet (Press Release) On Friday, May 11th, 2018; Frito Lay, one of Fine Foods main products, will form part of the 2018 Jazz ‘n Creole experience. Frito Lay snacks are known to be great fun for the kids and families and so Fine Foods, local distributor of Frito Lay, is delighted to be affiliated with this years’signature event. “It is our corporate responsibility to help build good family fun events, especially during the rebuilding process from the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria,” said Nathalie Walsh, Head of Distribution and Marketing at Fine Foods Inc.Fine Foods, among other sponsors, will make a positive impact in the Kids Zone at Jazz ‘n Creole, with an experience of good music, fun kids activities and a variety of Frito Lay’s snacks to include, Cheetos, Fritos, Doritos, Sun Chips and Lays Potato Chips to meet the taste buds.You don’t want to miss out on our Frito Lay snack promotions at the event on May 20th at Fort Shirley in the Cabrits National Park from 2:00pm. A lucky family will get a chance to win a 7” Alcatel tablet and more.center_img 240 Views   no discussions Share Sharelast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Princess Cruises Promises #WeWillBeBack

first_imgAlong with illuminating the message across the ship, the cruise line also displayed a banner at the atrium of Sky Princess, conveying the same message. Sea News, March 20 Princess also shared the heartwarming image on its social media platforms, where cruisers showed their love and support for the brand. “Our hearts are full of gratitude as we read your messages of support. We’ll continue to share updates & respond to questions as our teams work to ensure a safe return home for guests and teammates, and look forward to welcoming you aboard again soon. #WeWillBeBack #PrincessProud” A loyal fan of Princess Pat Musante posted on the Princess Cruises Facebook. “We love Princess and have four cruises booked. Our first is May 28, the British Isles And then we have Hawaii, Buenos Aires and the Mediterranean. We really hope that Princess will be up and running the end of May. We were on the Sky for three weeks in February joined by our granddaughter the third week and we had the best time ever”.center_img Princess beamed heart-warming the message “We Will Be Back” from the balcony staterooms of Sky Princess, the newest ship in Princess’ 18-strong fleet. Like her sister ships, Sky Princess has paused operations for 60 days, but will return to sail across Scandinavia and Russia after this time. Author: Baibhav Mishralast_img read more

0COMMENTS