Archives

Boston Green Line light rail extension contract awarded

first_imgUSA: The award of a design and build contract for Boston’s Green Line light rail extension was approved by Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority on November 20.The winning bidder was the GLX Constructors joint venture led by Flour and including Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Herzog Contracting Group and The Middlesex Corp. The contract is worth $1·08bn, including six options for platform canopies, additional lifts, public art, walking routes and depot enhancements which had been separated from the main works with the aim of lowering costs after the project was put on hold in 2015.One other bid was submitted, a third bidder having dropped out. ‘The selection process was extensive and thorough, and we are pleased that the outcome is that the cost is under our affordability limit’, said MBTA General Manager Luis Ramirez. The project includes the construction of two branches of the Green Line totalling 6·9 km, one running from the relocated Lechmere stop to Union Square and the other from Lechmere to College Avenue station. The will be six new stops, and a depot. The project will also require relocating sections of heavy rail routes. Construction is scheduled to get underway in 2018 for opening in late 2021.The extension is intended to offer a one-seat ride to central Boston, with the aim of reducing car usage. Daily ridership is estimated to reach 45 000 by 2030.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Duchess Kate reveals her mom’s crush on Roger Federer ahead of Wimbledon

first_imgKarwai Tang/WireImage(LONDON) — When Roger Federer begins his quest next week for a record-breaking eighth Wimbledon men’s title, he can count on Duchess Kate’s mom cheering him on.“Roger [Federer] is my mother’s heartthrob,” Kate, 35, said of her mom, Carole Middleton. “I don’t think she will mind me saying that. I think he probably knows that too.”Federer, who attended the wedding of Kate’s sister, Pippa Middleton, in May, is just one of the tennis stars Kate opens up about in a new BBC One documentary, Sue Barker: Our Wimbledon, marking 90 years of Wimbledon coverage on the BBC.“I was really taken by [Andre] Agassi and [Pete] Sampras, [Goran] Ivanisevic and Steffi Graf,” Kate recalled of a childhood spent watching Wimbledon. “That for me was my first memories.”Kate will attend the opening day of Wimbledon on Monday as royal patron of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Kate took over the patronage from Queen Elizabeth II, 91, in December.The Duchess of Cambridge revealed in preview clips of the documentary, which airs Sunday, that just watching Wimbledon matches made her hope that she too could be a tennis star.“It inspires young people including myself,” she said. “Every time Wimbledon is on I am thinking, ‘Yes, I could do the same’ and get out the racket. Sadly, not the same results.”Kate has a tennis court at the country home, Anmer Hall, she shares with Prince William and their children, Prince George and Princess Charlotte. William, also 35, and Kate are said to enjoy a fierce rivalry on the court.Kate admitted to Novak Djokovic after watching him in the 2014 Wimbledon men’s final that she and William are pretty “even.” She also told the three-time Wimbledon champion she was a bit out of practice at the time since becoming a new mother to Prince George, who turns 4 in July.Kate also revealed that while pregnant with George in 2013, her doctor told her she could not attend the Wimbledon men’s final. Andy Murray went on to win the tournament that year, ending Britain’s 77-year drought in the men’s championship.“I was very heavily pregnant,” Kate said. “I wrote to him [Murray] afterwards saying sorry for not being there.”Kate and William are often seen courtside at the All England Club and Kate is also accompanied by her parents and siblings. It was one such visit to Wimbledon with her dad, Michael Middleton, that Kate said left her “mortified.”“My father is not going to appreciate this but we were walking past Tim Henman and had just seen [Pete] Sampras play. My dad said, ‘Hi Pete,’” Kate recalled. “I was mortified.”Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMatico Relatedlast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Former USA gymnastics doctor to stand trial over sex abuse claims

first_img Related iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — A former Michigan State University and USA gymnastics doctor will go to trial over sex abuse allegations.At a preliminary hearing Friday, an alleged victim took the stand, saying Larry Nassar sexually abused her at his home when she was a child. The now-25-year-old said her parents were friends with Nassar. The judge presiding over the hearing decided that there is enough evidence for the former doctor to be tried on three counts of sexual misconduct. This case is separate from the child pornography charges and lawsuit by dozens of women who say Nassar sexually assaulted them during gymnastics treatments over 20 years. Nassar has denied all of the allegations.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.Powered by WPeMaticolast_img

0COMMENTS