Archives

Husband, wife found dead in Delaware River, 5-year-old daughter found alive in nearby SUV: Police

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(PHILADELPHIA) — A husband and wife were found dead in the Delaware River Thursday morning while their 5-year-old daughter was located nearby, according to Philadelphia police.The woman, approximately 30 years old, was found around 5:45 a.m., according to the Philadelphia Police Department. She was pulled out of the river and pronounced dead about one hour later.A 5-year-old girl was found in a Nissan SUV and told officers she was with her father, police said. The girl was taken to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to be evaluated, police said.A second body was found in the river, which police determined was the husband of the woman and the father of the 5-year-old.He was pulled out of the river and pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m.Police said the investigation is ongoing. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Eurostar escape

first_imgFEW PEOPLE would dispute that the 501 passengers and 16 crew on Eurostar 9047 from Paris to London on June 5 had a lucky escape when their train derailed at around 250 km/h at Croisilles on the TGV Nord line near Arras in northern France. No-one was seriously hurt, but had the train derailed so as to foul the adjacent track, or had it struck a bridge pier like the ICE at Eschede in Germany in June 1998, it may have been another story.Remarkably, all 20 cars remained upright, although the second bogie of the leading power car and the motored bogie of the adjacent coach came off the rails, as did both bogies of the rear power car. The driver had noted something was amiss shortly before and had already reduced speed before the derailment occurred.The cause turned out to be the failure of a shaft connecting one of the traction motors to an axle. In contrast to other TGV designs such as the Réseau sets, Eurostars have asynchronous rather than synchronous drives, and this change modified the dynamic stresses on the tripod shaft, requiring a monitoring system to be fitted to detect characteristics that could indicate a failure. SNCF said this was the first failure of a tripod shaft, but a similar fault led to a Eurostar being taken out of service shortly before entering the British portal of the Channel Tunnel a week earlier; it would appear that in this case the problem was detected before the shaft became detached. SNCF Traction & Rolling Stock Director Roland Bonnepart said that the shaft from the derailed train had been found on the track with some of its fixing bolts missing, suggesting that the root cause may have been a maintenance issue rather than a design fault.There have been two other instances of TGVs derailing at high speed, and on both occasions the articulated trains remained upright, with no-one on board seriously injured.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Pacquiao confirms bout with lesser-known Horn in UAE

first_img[av_textblock size=” font_color=’custom’ color=’#0a0a0a’]MANILA – World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao has finally confirmed he’ll defend his belt against Australian Jeff Horn in April at Dubai, United Arab Emirates.On Sunday, Pacquiao’s adviser Michael Koncz said that the eight-division world boxing champion has finally agreed to fight the lesser-known but dangerous Horn.“It took us a while to get this deal together. There was a lot of confusion whether this is going to happen in the UAE,” Koncz said. “We have executed the agreement in the morning and 100 percent the fight will be in UAE.”It was earlier reported that the Pacquiao-Horn fight was in danger of being cancelled due to Australian promoters offering only a $7-million purse, far from the Filipino boxer’s wish of $20 million.“The way we operate, I would say I’m transparent and I’m an honest guy. If you try to manipulate a situation you have to remember what you say, but if you say the truth you have to remember nothing,” Koncz said.“I don’t have control over what (Top Rank Promotions) Bob (Arum) says, he talks a lot of stuff and I apologize to the people of Australia,” he added. “A promoter works for the boxer but the boxer doesn’t work for the promoter.”The 28-year-old Horn, who currently holds the WBO and IBF Inter-continental welterweight championship, has an unblemished 16-0-1 win-loss-draw ring record, including 11 stoppage victories.The 38-year-old Pacquiao, on the other hand, has a 59-6-2 win-loss-draw ring record including 38 stoppage wins after his unanimous decision win over Jessie Vargas last November 2015./PN[/av_textblock][/av_one_full] [av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’Pacquiao confirms bout with lesser-known Horn in UAE’ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=” subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]By ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=’custom’ color=’#0a0a0a’]Monday, February 13, 2017[/av_textblock][av_image src=’http://www.panaynews.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/sports-Pacquiao.jpg’ attachment=’96397′ attachment_size=’full’ align=’center’ styling=” hover=” link=” target=” caption=” font_size=” appearance=” overlay_opacity=’0.4′ overlay_color=’#000000′ overlay_text_color=’#ffffff’ animation=’no-animation’][/av_image]last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Scott Brown says semi-final can help drive Celtic to the title

first_imgThe 30-year-old said: “Yes, there are places up for grabs in those games and it is the big games you want to play in.“So I think everyone will be on their A game from now on.“They are a good team, they play some good football but as I say, they have a lot of games, we have a lot of games. “They are doing well in the Championship just now and we are still winning the Premiership so hopefully we can kick on a little bit now.” Scott Brown believes next month’s Scottish Cup semi-final against Rangers can help drive Celtic to five in a row in the league.The title race is very much alive with the Scottish champions just a point above Aberdeen but the Celtic captain is in no doubt his side will retain their Premiership crown.Brown believes April’s last four clash against their city rivals will leave members of the squad desperate to avoid being left out at the national stadium.The Scotland skipper and team-mate Ryan Christie swapped turf for the track at Knockhill Racing Circuit and he feels his team are still in pole position to claim a domestic double. Derek McInnes’ men continue to put pressure on Ronny Deila’s men and having vowed his team will come out on top after a defeat at Pittodrie in February, Brown remains confident he will be lifting the Premiership trophy in May.“We are top of the league, we have a game in hand and we need to get that five in a row,” he said. “We need to keep winning. We are Celtic and should be winning the league no matter what. “From now on there should be no excuses from us whatsoever, we need to keep winning games and keep getting points on the board. “It doesn’t need to be pretty football, it can be ugly football but three points is three points and hopefully we can get that five in a row.”last_img read more

0COMMENTS