Archives

Police responding to reports of shooter at hospital in LA; officers searching building room by room

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(DOWNEY, Calif.) — Police are responding to reports of a shooter at Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Downey, California, in Los Angeles County, authorities said.No injuries have been reported, authorities said.One suspect has been detained, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Office said.Officers are searching the building room by room for evidence or more possible suspects, the sheriff’s office said.Those in the building are urged to shelter in place.This story is developing. Please check back for more updates. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img

0COMMENTS

Husband, wife found dead in Delaware River, 5-year-old daughter found alive in nearby SUV: Police

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(PHILADELPHIA) — A husband and wife were found dead in the Delaware River Thursday morning while their 5-year-old daughter was located nearby, according to Philadelphia police.The woman, approximately 30 years old, was found around 5:45 a.m., according to the Philadelphia Police Department. She was pulled out of the river and pronounced dead about one hour later.A 5-year-old girl was found in a Nissan SUV and told officers she was with her father, police said. The girl was taken to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia to be evaluated, police said.A second body was found in the river, which police determined was the husband of the woman and the father of the 5-year-old.He was pulled out of the river and pronounced dead at 10:43 a.m.Police said the investigation is ongoing. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

Tibet House Benefit Concert: The National w/ Sufjan Stevens, Iggy Pop w/ New Order

first_imgLast night marked the 24th annual Tibet House Benefit Concert in New York City. The benefit to preserve Tibetan culture brought together The National with Sufjan Stevens, performances by Iggy Pop with New Order, Patti Smith, Phillip Glass and more.Just a little background about the benefit, Tibet House U.S. was founded at the request of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who at the inauguration in 1987 stated his wish for a long-term cultural institution to ensure the survival of Tibetan civilization and culture, whatever the political destiny of the six million people of Tibet itself.According to His Holiness the Dalai Lama: “I feel that Tibetan culture with its unique heritage –born of the efforts of many human beings of good spirit, of its contacts with Mongolian, Chinese, Indian, Nepalese and Persian culture, and of its natural environment – has developed a kind of energy which is very helpful for cultivating peace of mind and a joyful life.I feel that there is a potential for Tibet to help humanity, and particularly our Eastern neighbor, where millions of young Chinese have lost their spiritual values. In this way, I feel very strongly that Tibetan culture will have a role to play in the future of humanity.”Check out two of the higher profile performances from the last night’s event:Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks–The National with Sufjan StevensTransmission– Iggy Pop with New Order[via Consequence of Sound]-Brittney Borruso www.facebook.com/rockstellalast_img read more

0COMMENTS

Bolton council faces fresh grilling over ‘secret’ £300k law firm grant

first_imgThe opposition group at Bolton council has continued to press leader Cliff Morris over a ‘secret’ £300,000 grant awarded to a personal injury law firm. Following a fiery council meeting last week, the Conservative group has submitted an official list of questions to the council surrounding the grant to Asons Solicitors.Last week the Gazette reported live from Bolton where the council backed the decision to award the grant and Morris defied calls for him to resign.The grant was made under the council’s emergency powers procedure last month but questions over its secret nature and why it was made in the first place have been continuously raised.The money was supposed to be used to help the firm renovate its new building but critics have pointed out the firm had already moved to its new offices at Newspaper House months before the grant was made.Further, the firm’s accounts showed that it is in a dispute with HM Revenue & Customs over a £300,000 bill, though there is no evidence that the grant and the £300,000 demand are linked.Conservative leader David Greenhalgh told the Gazette he was ‘appalled’ by the ruling Labour group’s response at full council, which he described as ‘typical diversionary tactics’.The new questions include:Why was the grant signed off and agreed in September when the works had been completed in August, if the purpose of the grant was to keep Asons in the town centre?What due diligence was one before the grant was awarded, and who from the council undertook this work?If due diligence was done, was the fact that Asons in its published accounts lost more than £1m; is in dispute with the inland revenue for £300,000 and claim in the notes to the accounts that the business model was under threat, taken into account?When was the promise of money made to Asons, and when did the money actually change hands; and which specific Asons company account was the grant paid into?What checks have been done by Asons that the money has been spent on the refurbishment costs?What personal connections are there between Asons directors and executive members or councillors? Does the council think it is appropriate when money is tight to be handing over £300,000 to company whose director is claiming to have bought six Lamborghinis in four years?Greenhalgh said the council’s chief executive has told him that answers should be available next week. ‘I have to say, there is a growing lack of trust, and I will be asking for supported evidence. I know this won’t go down well, but I think it has reached that point now,’ he added.Asons declined to comment on the questions.last_img read more

0COMMENTS

The Russo Bros. aren’t too happy about Chris Pratt’s sneaky ‘Endgame’ Instagram spoiler

first_imgL-R Josh Brolin, Joe, Anthony Russo — Charley Gallay/Getty Images for Disney(LOS ANGELES) — It appears Star-Lord is every bit the outlaw he claims to be, according to Avengers: Endgame directors Joe and Anthony Russo.Millions have respectfully followed the Russos’ hashtag warnings to not spoil the Marvel blockbuster, but ever the renegade, Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt defied the brothers. This week, he dropped a sneakily-shot video from the Endgame set that showed virtually every star rehearsing a critical final battle. Pratt’s Instagram post alone attracted 20 million views and counting.The Russos say on May 6, their spoiler ban is over, which is why an exasperated Joe Russo laughed to ABC Radio,  “If we had our druthers, Pratt would’ve held onto that video until this Monday.”The lifting of the ban comes as a relief to the pair, though.“It literally is like working for the CIA for a year,” Joe says. “You really have to train your mind not to give anything away in casual conversation with people.”Anthony chimed in, “We’re the type of people that enjoy the dialogue about movies almost as much as we enjoy movies,  so…yeah, to be able to finally get to…where we can all freely discuss it is exciting for us!”While moviegoers haven’t actually filmed the movie, they’ve been recording and posting their audible reactions to the film — and The Russos have been watching.“That was something we really discovered on Infinity War,” Anthony says of Endgame‘s predecessor. “[J]ust to see the audience reaction…just to watch people explode! It’s thrilling…! You don’t see that in a movie theater very often.”Twitter just announced that a record 50 million Endgame-related tweets have been sent. Marvel Studios is owned by Disney, the parent company of ABC News.last_img read more

0COMMENTS